[openstack-dev] TC election by the numbers

Clint Byrum clint at fewbar.com
Thu Oct 30 01:27:48 UTC 2014

Excerpts from Eoghan Glynn's message of 2014-10-29 16:37:42 -0700:

> > > On Oct 29, 2014, at 3:32 PM, Eoghan Glynn <eglynn at redhat.com> wrote:
> > >

> > > Folks,
> > >
> > > I haven't seen the customary number-crunching on the recent TC election,
> > > so I quickly ran the numbers myself.
> > >
> > > Voter Turnout
> > > =============
> > >
> > > The turnout rate continues to decline, in this case from 29.7% to 26.7%.
> > >
> > > Here's how the participation rates have shaped up since the first TC2.0
> > > election:
> > >
> > > Election | Electorate | Voted | Turnout | Change
> > > 10/2013  | 1106       | 342   | 30.9%   | -8.0%
> > > 04/2014  | 1510       | 448   | 29.7%   | -4.1%
> > > 10/2014  | 1892       | 506   | 26.7%   | -9.9%
> >

> > Overall percentage of the electorate voting is declining, but absolute
> > numbers of voters has increased. And in fact, the electorate has grown more
> > than the turnout has declined.
>
> True that, but AFAIK the generally accepted metric on participation rates
> in elections is turnout as opposed to absolute voter numbers.

IIRC, there is no method for removing foundation members. So there are
likely a number of people listed who have moved on to other activities and
are no longer involved with OpenStack. I'd actually be quite interested
to see the turnout numbers with voters who missed the last two elections
prior to this one filtered out.