[openstack-dev] [all] Bringing some DevOps love to Openstack

Jim Meyer jim at geekdaily.org
Wed Oct 29 22:40:56 UTC 2014

On Oct 29, 2014, at 7:30 AM, Philip Cheong <philip.cheong at elastx.se> wrote:
> Yes, the aim is to get a vagrant-openstack provider plugin under Hashicorp's or Mitchellh's github account. Whether you call that "official" or "blessed", doesn't really matter.
>
> In order for Vagrant to integrate with other tools such as Packer there needs to be a preferred plugin. Hopefully the owners of the other plugins will agree to deprecate theirs so that an end can be put to the fragmentation that has happened so far and direct contributors to the correct place.

My advice would be: get started now; worry about others deprecating at the Vancouver summit. ;]

My experience has been that people who care look for people they know involved, popularity, and currency/signs-of-life. I'd bet that if you:

* Provide the plugin under a clearly related, "official" github account which has good reputation (either hashicorp or mitchellh work for this)
* Actively maintain it so the commit history shows signs of life
* Publicize it widely, from their blog as well as others

... you'll gain the momentum you want within 3-6 months.

--j