[openstack-dev] [neutron][nova] New specs on routed networking

Cory Benfield Cory.Benfield at metaswitch.com
Wed Oct 29 19:11:13 UTC 2014

> Some of us are looking at a different model. I’d be interested in your thoughts.

Fred,

Thanks for the link to the drafts. They look extremely similar to the
approach we've been pursuing for Project Calico, and it's good to see
that we're not the only people thinking in this direction.

It looks like the main differences between our approach and yours are
that we've tried to come up with a model that works both for IPv4 and
IPv6 (although we agree that moving the data center fabric to IPv6 has a
lot of advantages - e.g. we are planning on using 464XLAT as the
mechanism to handle IPv4 overlap).  Given this, we've focused our
policy/security model on ACLs rather than flow labels.  An interesting
derivative effect of that choice is that any policy or security model
can be enforced (such as intra-tenant controls, extra-cloud controls,
etc).

As a side note, we have been interested in using flow labels as
namespace identifiers and for SFC.  Recently, we have moved away from
that thinking given the guidance that the flow label should be not be
modified in flight.  If you believe that such modifications will be
acceptable, we would love to discuss that with you, and see where we can
collaborate.

As it is, I believe our proposed changes to Nova and Neutron should be
generic enough to provide a basis for implementing your approach as well
as supporting our Project Calico ML2 driver. If they aren't, we should
work together to make whatever changes we have to make to achieve that
generality.

It might also be worth checking out our agent code[0]. It's in the
middle of a rewrite at the minute so the code is unfinished, but it
handles a lot of what you'd be doing with your proposed drafts.
Hopefully it'd be a useful jumping off point.

Cory

[0]: https://github.com/Metaswitch/calico/tree/master/calico/felix