[openstack-dev] [Nova] [Summit] proposed item for the crossproject and/ or Nova meetings in the Design summit

Jay Pipes jaypipes at gmail.com
Tue Oct 28 21:16:11 UTC 2014

On 10/23/2014 07:57 PM, Elzur, Uri wrote:
> We’d like to bring it up in the coming design summit. Where do you think
> it needs to be discussed: cross project tack? Scheduler discussion? Other?
>
> I’ve just added a proposed item 17.1 to the
> https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/kilo-crossproject-summit-topics
>
> 1.
>
> 2.“present Application’s Network and Storage requirements, coupled with
> infrastructure capabilities and status (e.g. up/dn, utilization levels)
> and placement policy (e.g. proximity, HA) to get optimized placement
> decisions accounting for all application elements (VMs, virt Network
> appliances, Storage) vs. Compute only”

Hi again, Uri,

I'm afraid that there were not enough votes to get a cross-project
scheduler session on the design summit agenda on the Tuesday (when
cross-project sessions are held):

http://kilodesignsummit.sched.org/overview/type/cross-project+workshops#.VFAGDB8aekA

That said, there is a 90-minute (double) session on *Thursday, the 6th*,
between 11:00 and 12:30 on the Nova scheduler and resource tracker:

http://kilodesignsummit.sched.org/overview/type/nova#.VFAGgh8aekA

I encourage you and like-minded folks to attend at least part of this
session. It will be around technical details involved in the refactoring
groundwork that needs to be accomplished in the Kilo timeframe, but I
would welcome your input on the proposed scheduler interfaces involved
in this refactoring, particularly in relation to how you perceive future
placement decision requirements will affect those interfaces.

Best,
-jay