[openstack-dev] [tuskar][tripleo] Tuskar/TripleO on Devstack

Clint Byrum clint at fewbar.com
Tue Oct 28 18:34:14 UTC 2014

Excerpts from Ben Nemec's message of 2014-10-28 11:13:22 -0700:
> On 10/28/2014 06:18 AM, Steven Hardy wrote:

> >> mm, squid-cache should still give pretty good results. If its not, bug
> >> time :). That said..

> >> Cool.

> >> If you're in dev-of-a-component cycle, I wouldn't do that. I'd run
> >> devtest_seed.sh only. The seed has everything on it, so the rest is
> >> waste (unless you need all the overcloud bits - in which case I'd
> >> still tune things - e.g. I'd degrade to single node, and I'd iterate
> >> on devtest_overcloud.sh, *not* on the full plumbing each time).
> >
> > Yup, I went round a few iterations of those, e.g running devtest_overcloud
> > with -c so I could more quickly re-deploy, until I realized I could drive
> > heat directly, so I started doing that :)
> >
> > Most of my investigations atm are around investigating Heat issues, or
> > testing new tripleo-heat-templates stuff, so I do need to spin up the
> > overcloud (and update it, which is where the fun really began ref bug
> > #1383709 and #1384750 ...)

> >> We should fix that - is there a bug open? Thats a fairly serious issue
> >> for debugging a deployment.
> >
> > I've not yet raised one, as I wasn't sure if it was either by design, or if
> > I was missing some crucial element from my DiB config.
> >
> > If you consider it a bug, I'll raise one and look into a fix.

> >> Ugh. Thats horrid. Is it a fedora thing? My seed here can git pull
> >> totally fine - I've depended heavily on that to debug various things
> >> over time.
> >
> > Not yet dug into it in a lot of detail tbh, my other VMs can access the
> > internet fine so it may be something simple, I'll look into it.
>
> Are you sure this is a networking thing?  When I try a git pull I get this:
>
> [root at localhost heat]# git pull
> fatal:
> '/home/bnemec/.cache/image-create/source-repositories/heat_dc24d8f2ad92ef55b8479c7ef858dfeba8bf0c84'
> does not appear to be a git repository
>
> That's actually because the git repo on the seed would have come from
> the local cache during the image build.  We should probably reset the
> remote to a sane value once we're done with the cache one.
>
> Networking-wise, my Fedora seed can pull from git.o.o just fine though.

I think we should actually just rip the git repos out of the images in
production installs. What good does it do sending many MB of copies of
the git repos around? Perhaps just record HEAD somewhere in a manifest
and rm -r the source repos during cleanup.d.

But, for supporting dev/test, we could definitely leave them there and
change the remotes back to their canonical (as far as diskimage-builder
knows) sources.