[openstack-dev] [nova] pci pass through turing complete config options?

Brent Eagles beagles at redhat.com
Tue Oct 28 14:34:14 UTC 2014

Hi,

On 28/10/2014 10:39 AM, Sean Dague wrote:
> On 10/28/2014 08:31 AM, Daniel P. Berrange wrote:

<snip>

>> I don't think that is really very extensible for the future to drop the
>> key name. We've already extended the info we record here at least once,
>> and I expect we'd want to add more fields later. It is also makes it
>> less clear to the user - it is very easy to get confused about vendor
>> vs product IDs if we leave out the name.
>
> If we really need that level of arbitrary complexity and future name
> values we should then just:
>
> pci_passthrough_cfg = /etc/nova/pci_pass.yaml
>
> And build fully nested structures over there.
>
> Doing multi level nesting inside of .ini format files is just kind of gross.
>
> 	-Sean

The PCI whitelist mechanism needs to be extensible and for the sake of
expediency the existing whitelist mechanism was modified to add the
fields it has now. There has been discussion that the current mechanism
is either insufficient or simply completely undesirable for the PCI
passthrough use cases and the current approach was an interim solution.
Unless the current situation is completely untenable and simply must go,
is this a good opportunity to revisit previous discussions and proposals
before devising alternatives?

Cheers,

Brent