[openstack-dev] [all] using released versions of python clients in tests

Kuvaja, Erno kuvaja at hp.com
Tue Oct 28 13:36:30 UTC 2014

Sean,

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I think this needs to happen on RCs not on CI tests.

Couple of possible problems I personally see with this approach:
1) Extensive pressure to push new client releases (perhaps the released client is not as good as intended for just to provide someone tools to get through tests).
2) Un-necessary slowing of development. If the needed client functionality is merged but not released, the commits using this functionality will fail. This IMO fights against the point of having CI as we're still depending on internal releases during the development process.
3) More skipped tests "waiting" for client release and not catching the real issues.
4) over time LIBS_FROM_GIT just cumulates having all used clients rendering the effort useless anyways.

I do agree that we need to catch the scenarios driving you towards this on whatever we call Stable, but anything out of that should not be affected just because project does not release monthly, weekly or daily client versions.

I might have missed something here, but I just don't see the correlation  of unreleased server depending unreleased client being problem.

- Erno