[openstack-dev] [neutron] Clear all flows when ovs agent start? why and how avoid?

Kyle Mestery mestery at mestery.com
Tue Oct 28 13:00:41 UTC 2014

On Mon, Oct 27, 2014 at 10:01 PM, Damon Wang <damon.devops at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> We have suffered a long down time when we upgrade our public cloud's neutron
> into the latest version (close to Juno RC2), for ovs-agent cleaned all flows
> in br-tun when it start.

This is likely due to this bug [1] which was fixed in Juno. On agent
restart, all flows are reprogrammed. We do this to ensure that
everything is reprogrammed correctly and no stale flows are left.

[1] https://bugs.launchpad.net/tripleo/+bug/1290486
> I find our current design is remove all flows then add flow by entry, this
> will cause every network node will break off all tunnels between other
> network node and all compute node.
>
> ( plugins.openvswitch.agent.ovs_neutron_agent.OVSNeutronAgent.__init__ ->
> plugins.openvswitch.agent.ovs_neutron_agent.OVSNeutronAgent#setup_tunnel_br
> :
> self.tun_br.remove_all_flows() )
>
> Do we have any mechanism or ideas to avoid this, or should we rethink
> current design? Welcome comments

Perhaps a way around this would be to add a flag on agent startup
which would have it skip reprogramming flows. This could be used for
the upgrade case.