[openstack-dev] [all] using released versions of python clients in tests

Sean Dague sean at dague.net
Tue Oct 28 12:29:11 UTC 2014

At the beginning of the month we moved through a set of patches for oslo
libs that decoupled them from the integrated gate by testing server
projects with released versions of oslo libraries.

The way it works is that in the base devstack case all the oslo
libraries are pulled from pypi instead of git. There is an override
LIBS_FROM_GIT that lets you specify you want certain libraries from git
instead.

* on a Nova change oslo.config comes from the release pypi version.
* on an olso.config change we test a few devstack configurations with
LIBS_FROM_GIT=oslo.config, so that we can ensure that proposed
olso.config changes won't break everyone.

I believe we should do the same with all the python-*client libraries as
well. That will ensure that servers don't depend on unreleased features
of python client libraries, and will provide the forward testing to
ensure the next version of the python client to be released won't ruin
the world.

This is mostly a heads up that I'm going to start doing this
implementation. If someone wants to raise an objection, now is the time.
However I think breaking this master/master coupling of servers and
clients is important, and makes OpenStack function and upgrade a bit
closer to what people expect.

	-Sean

--
Sean Dague