[openstack-dev] [nova][CI] nova-networking or neutron netwokring for CI

Andreas Scheuring scheuran at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Tue Oct 28 09:53:31 UTC 2014

Hi,
we're preparing to add a new platform, libvirt-kvm on system z
(https://blueprints.launchpad.net/nova/+spec/libvirt-kvm-systemz), to
the HypervisorSupportMatrix
https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/HypervisorSupportMatrix .

This matrix also lists a number of networking features (e.g. vlan
networking, routing,..).

If I interpret the footnotes correctly, these network items refer only
to nova-networking, right? So if I plan to support vlan networking with
neutron, but not with nova-networking it would be an "x" in the related
cell, right?

Now thinking one step further in the direction of a CI system for the
new platform.

Are current nova CI platforms configured with nova-networking or with
neutron networking? Or is networking in general not even a part of the
nova CI approach?

My current assumption is that any networking is a requirement and most
of the systems would go with nova-networking. Is this true?

If so, does it make sense to run the CI system with neutron networking
instead of nova-networking? What's the best practice in this area?

Not sure about the deprecation plans of nova-networking. But setting up
the CI environment might also take a while. Do you think it's still
worthwhile spending time for the nova-network integration in the CI
system, if it might be deprecated in the future anyhow?

Any input?

Thanks a lot!

--
Andreas