[openstack-dev] [neutron] [nfv] VM-based VLAN trunking blueprints

A, Keshava keshava.a at hp.com
Tue Oct 28 08:57:05 UTC 2014

Hi,
Pl fine the reply for the same.

Regards,
keshava

From: Ian Wells [mailto:ijw.ubuntu at cack.org.uk]
Sent: Tuesday, October 28, 2014 1:11 PM
To: OpenStack Development Mailing List (not for usage questions)
Subject: Re: [openstack-dev] [neutron] [nfv] VM-based VLAN trunking blueprints

This all appears to be referring to trunking ports, rather than anything else, so I've addressed the points in that respect.
On 28 October 2014 00:03, A, Keshava <keshava.a at hp.com<mailto:keshava.a at hp.com>> wrote:
Hi,

1.       How many Trunk ports can be created ?
Why would there be a limit?

Will there be any Active-Standby concepts will be there ?
I don't believe active-standby, or any HA concept, is directly relevant.  Did you have something in mind?
For the NFV kind of the scenario, it is very much required to run the ‘Service VM’ in Active and Standby Mode.
Standby is more of passive entity and will not take any action to external network. It will be passive consumer of the packet/information.
In that scenario it will be very meaningful to have
“Active port – connected to  “Active  Service VM”.
“Standby port – connected to ‘Standby Service VM’. Which will turn Active when old Active-VM goes down  ?

Let us know others opinion about this concept.

 2.       Is it possible to configure multiple IP address configured on these ports ?
Yes, in the sense that you can have addresses per port.  The usual restrictions to ports would apply, and they don't currently allow multiple IP addresses (with the exception of the address-pair extension).

In case IPv6 there can be multiple primary address configured will this be supported ?
No reason why not - we're expecting to re-use the usual port, so you'd expect the features there to apply (in addition to having multiple sets of subnet on a trunking port).

 3.       If required can these ports can be aggregated into single one dynamically ?
That's not really relevant to trunk ports or networks.

 4.       Will there be requirement to handle Nested tagged packet on such interfaces ?
For trunking ports, I don't believe anyone was considering it.

Thanks & Regards,
Keshava