[openstack-dev] [tuskar][tripleo] Tuskar/TripleO on Devstack

Clint Byrum clint at fewbar.com
Tue Oct 28 01:24:57 UTC 2014

Excerpts from Steven Hardy's message of 2014-10-27 15:16:59 -0700:
> Hi all,
>
> Lately I've been spending a lot more time digging into TripleO and Tuskar,
> and started looking for a way to spin up simple tests (and in particular,
> play with Tuskar UI/API) without necessarily having the overhead of setting
> up a full devtest environment every time.
>
> So I decided to hack on a patch which automates starting tuskar-api via
> devstack, here's a quick HOWTO if you want to try it:
>
> 1. Pull devstack patch
>     https://review.openstack.org/#/c/131218/
>
> 2. Add t-api to localrc
>     "enable_service t-api"
>     Here's my example (Ironic enabled) localrc:
>     https://gist.github.com/hardys/2cfd2892ce0e63fa8155
>
> 3. Add tuskar roles
>     git clone git://github.com/openstack/tripleo-heat-templates.git
>     cd tripleo-heat-templates·
>     tuskar-load-roles --config-file /etc/tuskar/tuskar.conf -r compute.yaml -r controller.yaml
>
> 3. clone+install tuskar-ui
>     git clone git://github.com/openstack/tuskar-ui.git
>     cd tuskar-ui
>     python setup.py install
>
> 4. Copy tuskar-ui horizon config
>     cp ~/tuskar-ui/_50_tuskar.py.example
> /opt/stack/horizon/openstack_dashboard/local/enabled/_50_tuskar.py
>     sudo systemctl restart httpd.service
>
> This provides a basically functional tuskar API and UI, which is enough for
> basic testing of tuskar, tuskarclient and (to some extent) the UI.
>
> I hit some issues, please let me know if new bugs are needed for these, or
> if you can suggest solutions:
>
> 1. UI Infrastructure->Overview page always says No controller/compute node,
>    even though both roles are loaded
>
> 2. UI Service configuration has no content at all
>
> 3. UI Deployment Roles page says "Metering service is not enabled.", but
>    ceilometer is installed and active
>
> 4. UI: If, Ironic isn't available for any reason, you get a big error from the
>    "Nodes" page of the UI
>
> 5. API: You can't create or modify roles via the API, or even view the
> content of the role after creating it
>
> 6. After running tuskar-load-roles, the overcloud_roles table is always
> empty (related to 1?)
>
> I'd be interested in peoples thoughts about this general approach - ideally
> I'd like to end up at a point where you could launch an overcloud template
> directly via heat on devstack (with ironic enabled and the appropriate
> controller/compute images in glance obviously) - has anyone else tried
> that?

This is pretty awesome Steve, thanks for working on it. I think until
we have QuintupleO and can run things on a cloud instead of a single
machine, devtest's insistence to do things in a production-esque way
will make it too heavy for most developers.