[openstack-dev] [all] Key signing at the summit?

Clint Byrum clint at fewbar.com
Mon Oct 27 17:17:51 UTC 2014

Excerpts from Jeremy Stanley's message of 2014-10-27 07:45:27 -0700:
> On 2014-10-26 17:01:07 -0700 (-0700), Clint Byrum wrote:
> > Hi everyone! We have a summit rapidly approaching, and to my knowledge,
> > no key signing event planned. That is unfortunate, as the web of trust
> > that we started building in Atlanta would be quite stronger as we add
> > more European developers who I'm sure will be present in large numbers
> > due to proximity.
> [...]
>
> I took the prior lack of discussion on the ML to imply interest in
> repeating the exercise in an organized fashion was low. Those of us
> who regularly engage in ad-hoc keysigning will likely already have
> business cards or slips with full key fingerprints/names and
> passports or similar ID with us already. Since the majority of the
> OpenStack WoT is currently between release management, quality
> assurance and project infrastructure teams, I proposed this is one
> of the things which can go on quietly in the background over the
> course of our shared meet-up on Friday.

Often it's not clear that one needs to dive into the WoT until two people
are on opposite sides of the planet wanting to communicate in some secure
fashion. Because of this, I feel a need to facilitate key signing even
if there aren't that many who are excited about it.

We're short on time, and I think trying to push the full process will tax
too many. I like the idea of ad-hoc keysigning quietly in the background,
as that will also help educate people on how to grow their trust network
themselves, without just attending events like our signing party in
Atlanta.

Unless somebody else wants to gather the list of fingerprints and secure
a space for a larger meeting, I would just encourage everyone to bring
copies of your fingerprint and proof of your identity so that others can
sign your key. If you're unsure of how to do this, I suggest you ask in
#openstack-infra or directly ask any of us who you've seen discussing
key signing in the past.

> If there is interest in doing another Sassaman-Projected Method
> exercise at future events, a USB document camera would be useful to
> procure in advance (my earlier experiment with the digital
> microscope worked well in the lab but was not so successful in the
> wild since I ended up lacking a tall enough stand to properly
> encompass larger IDs and so had to try some pretty hacky
> workarounds). There is relatively inexpensive equipment on the
> market which does this sort of thing well and is compact enough to
> easily bring in luggage, I just don't happen to have anything like
> that on hand currently.

I thought it worked quite nicely, but I do think it stressed you out too
much and we should look at securing a camera for mid-cycles and the
next summit.