[openstack-dev] [neutron] [nfv] VM-based VLAN trunking blueprints

Bob Melander (bmelande) bmelande at cisco.com
Fri Oct 24 18:13:01 UTC 2014

What scares me a bit about the “let’s find a common solution for both external devices and VMs” approach is the challenge to reach an agreement. I remember a rather long discussion in the dev lounge in HongKong about trunking support that ended up going in all kinds of directions.

I work on implementing services in VMs so my opinion is definitely colored by that. Personally, proposal C is the most appealing to me for the following reasons: It is “good enough”, a trunk port notion is semantically easy to take in (at least to me), by doing it all within the port resource Nova implications are minimal, it seemingly can handle multiple network types (VLAN, GRE, VXLAN, … they are all mapped to different trunk port local VLAN tags), DHCP should work to the trunk ports and its sub ports (unless I overlook something), the spec already elaborates a lot on details, there is also already code available that can be inspected.

Thanks,
Bob