[openstack-dev] [Nova] Cells conversation starter

Andrew Laski andrew.laski at rackspace.com
Thu Oct 23 18:11:09 UTC 2014

On 10/22/2014 08:11 PM, Sam Morrison wrote:
>> On 23 Oct 2014, at 5:55 am, Andrew Laski <andrew.laski at rackspace.com> wrote:
>>
>>> While I agree that N is a bit interesting, I have seen N=3 in production
>>>
>>> [central API]-->[state/region1]-->[state/region DC1]
>>>                                 \->[state/region DC2]
>>>                -->[state/region2 DC]
>>>                -->[state/region3 DC]
>>>                -->[state/region4 DC]
>> I would be curious to hear any information about how this is working out.  Does everything that works for N=2 work when N=3?  Are there fixes that needed to be added to make this work?  Why do it this way rather than bring [state/region DC1] and [state/region DC2] up a level?
> We (NeCTAR) have 3 tiers, our current setup has one parent, 6 children then 3 of the children have 2 grandchildren each. All compute nodes are at the lowest level.
>
> Everything works fine and we haven’t needed to do any modifications.
>
> We run in a 3 tier system because it matches how our infrastructure is logically laid out, but I don’t see a problem in just having a 2 tier system and getting rid of the middle man.

There's no reason an N-tier system where N > 2 shouldn't be feasible,
but it's not going to be tested in this initial effort. So while we will
try not to break it, it's hard to guarantee that. That's why my
preference would be to remove that code and build up an N-tier system in
conjunction with testing later.  But with a clear user of this
functionality I don't think that's an option.