[openstack-dev] [Ironic] [Triple-O] Openstack Onboarding

James Slagle james.slagle at gmail.com
Wed Oct 22 12:40:27 UTC 2014

On Tue, Oct 21, 2014 at 1:08 PM, Clint Byrum <clint at fewbar.com> wrote:
> So Tuskar would be a part of that deployment cloud, and would ask you
> things about your hardware, your desired configuration, and help you
> get the inventory loaded.
>
> So, ideally our gate would leave the images we test as part of the
> artifacts for build, and we could just distribute those as part of each
> release. That probably wouldn't be too hard to do, but those images
> aren't exactly small so I would want to have some kind of strategy for
> distributing them and limiting the unique images users are exposed to so
> we're not encouraging people to run CD by downloading each commit's image.

I think the downloadable images would be great. We've done such a
thing for RDO.  And (correct me if I'm wrong), but I think the Helion
community distro does so as well? If that's the use case that seems to
work well downstream, it'd be nice to have a similar model upstream as
well.

For a bootstrap process just to try things out or get setup for
development, we could skip one layer and go straight from the seed to
the overcloud. In such a scenario, it may make sense to refer to the
seed as the undercloud since it's also your deployment cloud, and so
tuskar would likely be installed there.

We could also explore using the same image for the seed and
undercloud, and that would give folks one less image to
build/download.

Agreed that this will be good to discuss at the contributor meetup at
the summit. I think the first 2 bullet points on the etherpad are
pretty related actually (Adam's OpenStack Setup and James Polley's
Pathways into TripleO).

--
-- James Slagle