[openstack-dev] [Glance][Cinder] The sorry state of cinder's driver in Glance

Flavio Percoco flavio at redhat.com
Wed Oct 22 08:56:05 UTC 2014

Greetings,

Back in Havana a, partially-implemented[0][1], Cinder driver was merged
in Glance to provide an easier and hopefully more consistent interaction
between glance, cinder and nova when it comes to manage volume images
and booting from volumes.

While I still don't fully understand the need of this driver, I think
there's a bigger problem we need to solve now. We have a partially
implemented driver that is almost useless and it's creating lots of
confusion in users that are willing to use it but keep hitting 500
errors because there's nothing they can do with it except for creating
an image that points to an existing volume.

I'd like us to discuss what the exact plan for this driver moving
forward is, what is missing and whether it'll actually be completed
during Kilo.

If there's a slight chance it won't be completed in Kilo, I'd like to
propose getting rid of it - with a deprecation period, I guess - and
giving it another chance in the future when it can be fully implemented.

[0] https://blueprints.launchpad.net/glance/+spec/glance-cinder-driver
[1] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/32864/

Cheers,
Flavio