[openstack-dev] [DevStack] Proposal - add support for Markdown for docs

Dean Troyer dtroyer at gmail.com
Tue Oct 21 15:33:44 UTC 2014

On Tue, Oct 21, 2014 at 9:58 AM, Collins, Sean <
Sean_Collins2 at cable.comcast.com> wrote:

> Looking at the current docs, they are all currently in raw HTML, and I
> was hoping that it would be possible to add Pelican[1], which would make
> it easier to contribute documentation since we wouldn't have to write
> raw HTML. This may help make contributing docs more seamless.

Sean, I assume you realize that by standing up and saying this you become
the first volunteer to do the work, right? ;)

Seriously, I wouldn't be against something like this and in fact would
rather like to refresh the HTML docs.  Now that devstack.org is generated
on each commit again (thanks anteaya!) we have the ability to do so.

Questions that come to mind for further discussion:

* Is there a 'good enough' reason to do something new that is different
from the rest of docs.openstack.org?  Bringing in the legacy site is one
thing, we should have a good reason for adding yet another new build
dependency.

* I'm interested in the opinions of the readership if the shocco-generated
script pages are useful.  One of the reasons DevStack is in shell script is
to make it readable by everyone and the literate-style formatting is to
help with that.

dt

--

Dean Troyer