[openstack-dev] [api] Request Validation - Stoplight

Salvatore Orlando sorlando at nicira.com
Mon Oct 20 14:58:59 UTC 2014

On 20 October 2014 15:38, Jay Pipes <jaypipes at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 10/20/2014 10:26 AM, Amit Gandhi wrote:
>
>> Thanks for the clarification Sam.
>>
>> Its good to know where the mission of the API working group starts and
>> stops.  During the meetup discussions, my understanding was that the
>> working group would recommend the technologies to use while building apis
>> (e.g. Pecan, validation frameworks, etc) and were in the process of
>> looking into tools such as warlock.
>>

> Sorry, did I miss something? What meetup discussions are you referring to?
> I'm not aware of any meetings of the API working group so far...

The original poster was probably referring to conversations held in
openstack meetups around the world.

> > Hence the recommendation to add
>
>> another library into the mix for evaluation, based on advise by other
>> stackers in the community.
>>
>> Your response clarifies that the aim of the API working group is just to
>> recommend on standardizing the interfaces from various API's (which I am
>> looking forward to) and not the libraries used to implement that
>> interface.
>>

> I don't really think the working group has decided yet what it will be
> producing, with regards to recommendations and what topics it may provide
> guidance on. Heck, AFAIK, we still haven't settled on a day of the week and
> time to hold IRC meetings! ;)

Eh... a working group on API standards that can't even achieve consensus on
a day of the week!

>  For stackers who are interested in different validation frameworks to
>> implement validation, I recommend checking out Stoplight.
>>

> Just my two cents on this particular topic, I think it's more important to
> standardize ways in which our public REST APIs expose the payload
> expectations and response schemas to clients. In other words... we need to
> focus on methods for API discovery. Once you have standardized resource
> URI, request payload, and response schema discovery, then any number of
> validation libraries may be used.

I completely agree with Jay. The mission has not yet been scoped, but my
feeling is that technologies and/or frameworks won't be something that will
be addressed.
My personal opinion is that this group will need to focus on the API seen
as the way in which consumers interact with Openstack, try and provide a
common experience across Openstack API endpoints, and possibly improve the
consumer experience by reducing nonsenses and antipatterns in our API.
How this is implemented - and hence which technologies and frameworks
should be used - is possibly not really in the scope of this group.

Salvatore