[openstack-dev] [all] add cyclomatic complexity check to pep8 target

Chris Dent chdent at redhat.com
Fri Oct 17 09:10:21 UTC 2014

On Fri, 17 Oct 2014, Daniel P. Berrange wrote:

> IMHO this tool is of pretty dubious value. I mean that function is long
> for sure, but it is by no means a serious problem in the Nova libvirt
> codebase. The stuff it complains about in the libvirt/config.py file is
> just incredibly stupid thing to highlight.

I find a lot of the OpenStack code very hard to read. If it is very
hard to read it is very hard to maintain, whether that means fix or
improve.

That said, the value I see in these kinds of tools is not
specifically in preventing complexity, but in providing entry points
for people who want to fix things. You don't know where to start
(because you haven't yet got the insight or experience): run
flake8 or pylint or some other tools, do what it tells you. In the
process you will:

* learn more about the code
* probably find bugs
* make an incremental improvement to something that needs it

--
Chris Dent tw:@anticdent freenode:cdent
https://tank.peermore.com/tanks/cdent