[openstack-dev] [Nova] Automatic evacuate

Florian Haas florian at hastexo.com
Thu Oct 16 15:31:00 UTC 2014

On Thu, Oct 16, 2014 at 4:31 PM, Steve Gordon <sgordon at redhat.com> wrote:
>> Running compute nodes as baremetal extensions of a different
>> Corosync/Pacemaker cluster (presumably the one that manages the other
>> Nova services)  would potentially be an option, although vendors would
>> need to buy into this. Ubuntu, for example, currently only ships
>> pacemaker-remote in universe.
>
> This is something we'd be doing *too* OpenStack rather than *in* the OpenStack projects (at least those that deliver code), in fact that's a large part of the appeal. As such I don't know that there necessarily has to be one true solution to rule them all, a distribution could deviate as needed, but we would have some - ideally very small - number of "known good" configurations which achieve the stated goal and are well documented.

Correct. In the infrastructure/service HA field, we already have that,
as vendors (with very few exceptions) have settled on
Corosync/Pacemaker for service availability, HAproxy for load
balancing, and MySQL/Galera for database replication, for example. It
would be great if we could see this kind of convergent evolution for
guest HA as well.

Cheers,
Florian