[openstack-dev] [kolla] Heat templates for kubernetes + docker

Lars Kellogg-Stedman lars at redhat.com
Tue Oct 14 15:41:32 UTC 2014

This came up briefly on the meeting yesterday, but I wanted to bring
it to a wider audience.

I know some folks out there are using the Heat templates I put
together for setting up a simple kubernetes environment.  I have
recently added support for the Gluster shared filesystem; you'll find
it in the "feature/gluster" branch:

  https://github.com/larsks/heat-kubernetes/tree/feature/gluster

Once everything is booted, you can create a volume:

  # gluster volume create mariadb replica 2 \
    192.168.113.5:/bricks/mariadb 192.168.113.4:/bricks/mariadb
  volume create: mariadb: success: please start the volume to access data
  # gluster volume start mariadb
  volume start: mariadb: success

And then immediately access that volume under the "/gluster" autofs
mountpoint (e.g., "/gluster/mariadb").  You can use this in
combination with Kubernetes volumes to allocate storage to containers
that will be available on all of the minions.  For example, you could
use a pod configuration like this:

  desiredState:
    manifest:
      volumes:
        - name: mariadb-data
          source:
            hostDir:
              path: /gluster/mariadb
      containers:
      - env:
        - name: DB_ROOT_PASSWORD
          value: password
        image: kollaglue/fedora-rdo-mariadb
        name: mariadb
        ports:
        - containerPort: 3306
        volumeMounts:
          - name: mariadb-data
            mountPath: /var/lib/mysql
      id: mariadb-1
      version: v1beta1
  id: mariadb
  labels:
    name: mariadb

With this configuration, you could kill the mariadb container, have it
created on other minion, and you would still have access to all the
data.

This is meant simply as a way to experiment with storage and
kubernetes.

--
Lars Kellogg-Stedman <lars at redhat.com> | larsks @ {freenode,twitter,github}
Cloud Engineering / OpenStack          | http://blog.oddbit.com/