[openstack-dev] [api] Forming the API Working Group

Jay Pipes jaypipes at gmail.com
Fri Oct 10 16:09:08 UTC 2014

Thanks for getting this going, Everett! Comments inline...

On 10/08/2014 07:05 PM, Everett Toews wrote:
> https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/API_Working_Group
>
> This is the start of the API Working Group (API WG).

yay! :)

> To avoid bike shedding over the name of the working group, I decided
> to title the wiki page API Working Group. Simple, to the point, and
> avoids loaded terms like standards, best practices, guidelines,
> conventions, etc.

Yup, ++

> The point isn’t what we name it. The point is what action we take
> about it. I propose the deliverables in the API WG wiki page.
>
> Speaking of the wiki page, I wrote it very matter-of-factly. As if
> this is the way things are. They’re not. The wiki page is just a
> starting point. If something was missed, add it. If something can be
> improved, improve it. Let’s try to keep it simple though.

The wiki content looks fine, with the exception that I really do feel
the working group needs to have some ability to review and enforce
consistency within proposed REST APIs. The wording right now is:

"The API WG is focused on creating guidelines for the APIs"

which of course is fine, but I think that the Technical Committee should
essentially grant the working group the power to enforce guidelines and
consistency for proposed new REST APIs -- whether it's a new REST API
version in an existing project or a REST APi for a newly-proposed
OpenStack server project.

> I invite everyone who chimed in on the original thread [1] that
> kicked this off to add themselves as a member committed to making the
> OpenStack APIs better. I’ve Cc’d everyone who asked to be kept in the
> loop.
>
> I already see some cross project summit topics [2] on APIs. But
> frankly, with the number of people committed to this topic, I’d
> expect there to be more. I encourage everyone to submit more API
> related sessions with better descriptions and goals about what you
> want to achieve in those sessions.

Will do.

Best,
-jay