[openstack-dev] [nova] gerrit based statistics

Joe Gordon joe.gordon0 at gmail.com
Thu Oct 9 02:21:58 UTC 2014

On Wed, Oct 8, 2014 at 6:12 PM, Michael Still <mikal at stillhq.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Oct 9, 2014 at 11:58 AM, Joe Gordon <joe.gordon0 at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Wed, Oct 8, 2014 at 4:30 PM, Joe Gordon <joe.gordon0 at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >>
> >> Recently there has been a lot of discussion around the development
> growing
> >> pains in nova. Instead of guessing about how bad some of the issues
> are, I
> >> tried to answer a few questions that may help us better understand the
> >> issues.
> >>

> >> Q: How many revisions does it take to merge a patch?
> >>
> >> Average: 6.76 revisions
> >> median: 4.0 revisions
> >>

> >> Q: How many rechecks/verifies does it take to merge a patch (ignoring
> >> rechecks where the same job failed before and after)?
> >>
> >> Average: 0.749 rechecks per patch revision
> >> median: 0.4285  rechecks per patch revision
> >>
> >> For comparison here are the same results for tempest, which has a lot
> more
> >> gating tests:
> >>
> >> Average: 1.01591525738
> >> median: 0.6
> >>

> >> Q: How long does it take for a patch to get approved?
> >>
> >> Average: 28 days
> >> median: 11 days
> >>

> >> Q: How long does it take for a patch to get approved that touches
> >> 'nova/virt/'?
> >>
> >> Average: 34 days
> >> median: 18 days
> >>

> > To expand on these numbers, same results for last 6 months of commits:
> >
> > all of nova (1723 patches):
> > Average: 28.8
> > median: 11.0
> >
> > nova/virt (476 patches):
> >  Average: 34.5
>
> I think it would be interesting to break this up by driver
> directory... Are there drivers which take longer to land code for than
> others?

Like this?

subtree: None (1724 patches):
Average: 28.7
median: 11.0
subtree: nova/virt/ (476 patches):
Average: 34.5
median: 18.0
subtree: nova/virt/hyperv/ (38 patches):
Average: 46.8
median: 33.0
subtree: nova/virt/libvirt/ (224 patches):
Average: 35.9
median: 18.0
subtree: nova/virt/xenapi/ (72 patches):
Average: 39.5
median: 20.0
subtree: nova/virt/vmwareapi/ (134 patches):
Average: 38.7
median: 26.0