[openstack-dev] Usage of @author tags in the header of Python files

Duncan Thomas duncan.thomas at gmail.com
Wed Oct 8 09:58:54 UTC 2014

On 8 October 2014 10:39, Ihar Hrachyshka <ihrachys at redhat.com> wrote:
> On 08/10/14 09:30, Christian Berendt wrote:
>> After proposing a change to Horizon to remove the @author tags from
>> the header of Python files
>> (https://review.openstack.org/#/c/126656/) Matthias Runge proposed
>> to discuss this first on the mailing list.
>>
>> Is it necessary to track the authorship of a file inside the file
>> using @author tags?
>
> Git is a lot better in attributing authorship, so for me, @author tags
> are just a waste of precious disk bytes and cpu cycles.

The tags also make people worried about changing 'somebody else's
thing', are difficult to make meaningful over time (how much of a
function do you need to change to claim authorship of it) and
generally give no significant benefit. While I don't currently work on
Horizon, I vote for scrapping them and putting a hacking check in to
keep them out.