[openstack-dev] Suggestions for students final year project

Anita Kuno anteaya at anteaya.info
Tue Oct 7 18:01:46 UTC 2014

On 10/07/2014 01:38 PM, Adam Young wrote:
> On 10/06/2014 05:28 PM, Anita Kuno wrote:

>>> I am looking to get someone to work on a Javascript based web client to
>>> replace Horizon.
>> Can I just say that I think using new people looking to have work
>> experience with OpenStack to further pet projects, without telling them
>> it is a pet project and not considered a project which others may
>> consider OpenStack to be not the best approach for encouraging new
>> people.
> Good points:
>
>> Not knocking your project, Adam, since I know nothing about it, and this
>> isn't the first time I have seen this happen. But I do believe that
>> folks asking to help out with something are looking to gain transferable
>> skills so that they have something to offer a potential employeer who is
>> looking for work experience with OpenStack. That would be what I would
>> be looking for anyway.
> No offense taken.  I think you are looking out for the interest of the
> poster and people wityh similar interests.
Thanks for understanding, Adam.

> I can verify how hard to cut off a chunk for a new developer:  I had an
> intern I was working with this summer.  Most of the time was spent on
> learning the development process.
Exactly! I think this is a very salient point which is missed both by
people in Patricia's situation as well as the ones who send them here.

>  It would not be appropriate for
> someone in Patricia's position to try and come in and get a bug fix
> through.
Now on this point, I'm going to disagree, simply because I don't have
enough information on what Patricia's position actually is. I can guess
but until I hear from Patricia herself, I'm just guessing and I would
much rather know. It was my desire to know more about Patricia's
position that motivated my suggestion she join irc and perhaps ask a few
questions, allowing others to ask questions of her.

When interacting with other folks who enter under similar circumstances,
my first question invariably is "What is your goal?". I truly hope
Patricia has something better than "to get a good mark" because folks
with that goal rarely interest me, but who knows. I haven't had the
chance to ask.

>  That limits the number of projects available.
Now here is where I would like to interact with program administrators
at institutions such as Patricia's to ask them why a project? We have
over 300 including stackforge, why task a student with starting their
own, why not encourage them to learn our development process which then
can enable them to work on any of the 300 in various stages of development.

> Typically, and internship or a senior project like this is the correct
> place for a proof of concept or side project.
Well I guess I would like to change things a bit and interact more
closely with institutions so they are encouraging students to mix it up
with the rest of us (reviewing for marks, that appeals to me) rather
than working on their own on the side. They get what the prof wanted but
they don't get as much as they could get for their time in terms of what
would be useful after they get that rolled up piece of paper secured
with a ribbon. Also there are hiring managers afoot in them thar hills
masquerading as devs, who knows what might happen if you actually work
with them for 3 - 6 weeks what fate might bestow on you.

>  The project can be done
> with a focus more on functionality and less on stability.
>

> We should come up with a published list of "intern and senior projects
> proposals"
I agree that is would be helpful, not only to students, but also to
OpenStack to have a published list of endpoints (whatever they may be)
that allows newcomers to be productive while getting what they need to
show off to evaluators while also growing skills that will be useful to
them long term. Having them learn how to do work that benefits Openstack
(how about reviews?) wouldn't hurt us either.

Thanks Adam,
Anita.