[openstack-dev] [Neutron] Proposing to disallow updates of IPv6 attributes on subnets

Henry Gessau gessau at cisco.com
Tue Oct 7 16:21:26 UTC 2014

A number of bugs[1][2][3] have been filed which are related to updating the
IPv6 attributes after a subnet has been created.

In the reviews[4][5] for the fixes for [1] and [2] some shortcomings and
questions have been raised, which were discussed in today's IPv6 IRC meeting[6].

updated after the subnet is created, because:
- The implementation for supporting updates is incomplete.
- Perceived lack of usefulness, no good use cases known yet.
- Allowing updates causes more complexity in the code.
- Have not tested that radvd, dhcp, etc. behave OK after update.

Therefore we are proposing to change 'allow_put' to False for the two IPv6
attributes, ipv6_ra_mode and ipv6_address_mode. This will prevent the modes
from being updated via the PUT:subnets API.

We would be interested to hear of any disagreements or questions.

[1] https://launchpad.net/bugs/1362966
[2] https://launchpad.net/bugs/1363064
[3] https://launchpad.net/bugs/1373417
[4] https://review.openstack.org/125328