[openstack-dev] Candidate proposals for TC (Technical Committee) positions are now open

Anita Kuno anteaya at anteaya.info
Mon Oct 6 18:58:48 UTC 2014

On 10/06/2014 12:38 PM, Anita Kuno wrote:
> On 10/03/2014 12:16 PM, Flavio Percoco wrote:
>> On 10/03/2014 05:38 PM, Tristan Cacqueray wrote:
>>> Candidate proposals for the Technical Committee positions (6 positions)
>>> are now open and will remain open until 05:59 UTC October 10, 2014.
>>>
>>> Candidates for the Technical Committee Positions: Any Foundation
>>> individual member can propose their candidacy for an available,
>>> directly-elected TC seat. [0] (except the seven TC members who were
>>> elected for a one-year seat last April: Thierry Carrez, Jay Pipes,
>>> Vishvananda Ishaya, Michael Still, Jim Blair, Mark McClain, Devananda
>>> van der Veen) [1]
>>>
>>> Propose your candidacy by sending an email to the openstack-dev at
>>> lists.openstack.org mailing-list, with the subject: "TC candidacy".
>>> Please start your own thread so we have one thread per candidate. Since
>>> there will be many people voting for folks with whom they might not have
>>> worked, including a platform or statement to help voters make an
>>> informed choice is recommended, though not required.
>>>
>>> NEW: In order to help the electorate learn more about the candidates we
>>> have posted a template of questions to which all candidates are
>>> requested to respond. [2]
>>>
>>> Anita and I will confirm candidates with an email to the candidate
>>> thread as well as create a link to the confirmed candidate's proposal
>>> email on the wikipage for this election. [1]
>>>
>>> The election will be held from October 10 through to 13:00 UTC October
>>> 17, 2014. The electorate are the Foundation individual members that are
>>> also committers for one of the official programs projects [3] over the
>>> Icehouse-Juno timeframe (September 26, 2013 06:00 UTC to September 26,
>>> 2014 05:59 UTC), as well as the extra-ATCs who are acknowledged by the
>>> TC. [4]
>>>
>>> Please see the wikipage for additional details about this election. [1]
>>>
>>> If you have any questions please be sure to either voice them on the
>>> mailing list or email Anita or myself [5] or contact Anita or myself on IRC.
>>>
>>> Thank you, and I look forward to reading your candidate proposals,
>>> Tristan
>>>
>>> [0] https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Governance/Foundation/TechnicalCommittee
>>> [1] https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/TC_Elections_October_2014
>>> [2]
>>> https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/TC_Elections_October_2014#TC_Election_Questions
>>> [3]
>>> http://git.openstack.org/cgit/openstack/governance/tree/reference/programs.yaml?id=sept-2014-elections
>>> Note the tag for this repo, sept-2014-elections.
>>> [4]
>>> http://git.openstack.org/cgit/openstack/governance/tree/reference/extra-atcs?id=sept-2014-elections
>>> [5] Anita: anteaya at anteaya dot info
>>>      Tristan: tristan dot cacqueray at enovance dot com
>>>

>> Greetings,
>>
>> I'd like to take this chance to gently ask, but it's obviously not a
>> requirement, to all candidates to share what their opinion with regards
>> to the new governance discussion is in their candidacy.
>>
>> As a voter, I'm interested to know how the new candidates see our
>> governance model in the next 6 months and what changes, related to the
>> "big tent" discussion, they consider most important.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Flavio
>>

> Hi Flavio:
> I had purposely not mentioned the organizational changes in the
> templated questions (which are brand new this time, so these are the
> guinea pig candidates).
>
> One of the things people are looking for is leaders. At campaign time
> folks with strong stances prevail. However it is the ability to listen
> and consider the opinions of others, especially when disagreement
> arises, that makes our TC as strong as it has been and hopefully will be
> in future.
>
> Everyone is enjoying the drama of the changes and yes they are dramatic,
> but equally if not more important is the work that will have to take
> place using listening and consideration skills in order to turn
> decisions into outcomes.
>
> Listening is an incredibly important leadership skill but doesn't get
> much air time during campaigns. If you look at really effective leaders
> though they are listeners, every one. Listeners also rarely state that
> is what they are doing, since they are busy listening.
>
> Any candidate is welcome to say anything they wish in their candidate
> statement. I appreciate that you are interested in their opinions about
> the new governance model, Flavio, and I appreciate you speaking up about
> it. But regardless of what decisions are made, what structure is decided
> upon and what that structure and its parts are called, we need people
> with the ability to listen, consider, and work very hard to put any of
> these decisions in place in order for them to succeed.
>
> We have a problem of incredible growth in OpenStack. Our growth is a
> manifestation of all we are doing correctly. I hope that the questions
> asked in the templates bring out the qualities I know each candidate is
> capable of, that ensure we have a group of leaders with the skills
> necessary to make agreements and produce results, regardless of the
> shape and colour of those agreements and results.
>
> Thank you,
> Anita.

I will also say that it appears that the new questions are demanding
enough as it is. On the first Monday of TC nominations last round we had
5 candidate announcements, so far we have zero candidate announcements.

I hope that the request for information in a way that can be more easily
parsed by the electorate has not discouraged potential candidates from
running. I would be disappointed if the new format decreased the size of
the field of potential candidates.

Thank you,
Anita.