[openstack-dev] [all][docs][tc] How to scale Documentation

Adam Lawson alawson at aqorn.com
Mon Oct 6 17:39:47 UTC 2014

I like your suggestion about the Docs team being advisors. I would submit
however (my opinion here) that whether or not there are enough resources on
the Doc'n team to handle Openstack's current list of integrated programs,
offloading the work to individual projects exchanges one challenge
(scalability) with another problem (quality). Using that approach, doc bugs
will get triaged with the other project bugs and potentially distracts
developers from doing what they do best - writing and fixing code. And what
happens when you only have time to fix a feature or work on documentation?
Focus on features and performance/stability are going to win. Every time.
And they should because that what the program teams should be focused on.
That means we start down the road heavy on code because developers can't do
everything, making them light on documentation forcing a catch-up process
to ensure which requires a special team to preserve momentum, bringing us
back to where we are now. I've been there before. And I'm sure others have
as well.

I've always been a big proponent of exploiting strengths vs building on
weaknesses and I'm going to step out on a limb here and speak to strengths
which may get me into hot water with some so I want to apologize in
advance. ; )

If a team of developers is tasked to produce all of the documentation for
enterprise consumers, I hate to say it like this but you'll end up with
highly-targeted documentation that makes sense to a developer and possibly
low-level engineers. That level of detail is probably best served in
README, wikis and mailing lists. It isn't effective as a user's manual.
Even with coaching, we'd be coaching folks to do things they aren't good
at. Same goes for a solution architect writing documentation the other way
around - you end up with documentation that speaks so broad, it fails to
make the impact that a targeted/focused approach is needed by the
engineering consumers.

While documentation produced by each individual project makes a special
kind of impact, it must be one spoke - not the entire wheel. I love the
idea of advisors and they should provide the first draft but I also believe
a dedicated team is needed to ensure quality doesn't suffer.

*Adam Lawson*

AQORN, Inc.
427 North Tatnall Street
Ste. 58461