[openstack-dev] Candidate proposals for TC (Technical Committee) positions are now open

Anita Kuno anteaya at anteaya.info
Mon Oct 6 16:47:03 UTC 2014

On 10/06/2014 12:35 PM, Doug Hellmann wrote:

> On Oct 3, 2014, at 11:38 AM, Tristan Cacqueray <tristan.cacqueray at enovance.com> wrote:
>
>> Candidate proposals for the Technical Committee positions (6 positions)
>> are now open and will remain open until 05:59 UTC October 10, 2014.
>>
>> Candidates for the Technical Committee Positions: Any Foundation
>> individual member can propose their candidacy for an available,
>> directly-elected TC seat. [0] (except the seven TC members who were
>> elected for a one-year seat last April: Thierry Carrez, Jay Pipes,
>> Vishvananda Ishaya, Michael Still, Jim Blair, Mark McClain, Devananda
>> van der Veen) [1]
>>
>> Propose your candidacy by sending an email to the openstack-dev at
>> lists.openstack.org mailing-list, with the subject: "TC candidacy".
>> Please start your own thread so we have one thread per candidate. Since
>> there will be many people voting for folks with whom they might not have
>> worked, including a platform or statement to help voters make an
>> informed choice is recommended, though not required.
>>
>> NEW: In order to help the electorate learn more about the candidates we
>> have posted a template of questions to which all candidates are
>> requested to respond. [2]
>>
>> Anita and I will confirm candidates with an email to the candidate
>> thread as well as create a link to the confirmed candidate's proposal
>> email on the wikipage for this election. [1]
>>
>> The election will be held from October 10 through to 13:00 UTC October
>> 17, 2014. The electorate are the Foundation individual members that are
>> also committers for one of the official programs projects [3] over the
>> Icehouse-Juno timeframe (September 26, 2013 06:00 UTC to September 26,
>> 2014 05:59 UTC), as well as the extra-ATCs who are acknowledged by the
>> TC. [4]
>>
>> Please see the wikipage for additional details about this election. [1]
>>
>> If you have any questions please be sure to either voice them on the
>> mailing list or email Anita or myself [5] or contact Anita or myself on IRC.
>>
>> Thank you, and I look forward to reading your candidate proposals,
>> Tristan
>>
>> [0] https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Governance/Foundation/TechnicalCommittee
>> [1] https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/TC_Elections_October_2014
>> [2]
>> https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/TC_Elections_October_2014#TC_Election_Questions
>> [3]
>> http://git.openstack.org/cgit/openstack/governance/tree/reference/programs.yaml?id=sept-2014-elections
>> Note the tag for this repo, sept-2014-elections.
>> [4]
>> http://git.openstack.org/cgit/openstack/governance/tree/reference/extra-atcs?id=sept-2014-elections
>> [5] Anita: anteaya at anteaya dot info
>>     Tristan: tristan dot cacqueray at enovance dot com
>

> Could you elaborate a bit on the question "How would you characterize the various facets of contributor motivation?”
>
> Doug

Hi Doug:

Sure.

The reasons for a contributor's actions affect their actions. I'm
interested in hearing what you perceive to be the outcomes of various
contributor actions.

For instance, in the third party space, contributors consistently do
certain things which affect the whole community and they are regularly
oblivious to it. It is a very specific and predictable pattern. The
source of the pattern of behaviour stems from their reasons for
contributing, every single one has the same response when asked about
why they are doing what they are doing.

I'm interested in hearing what a given candidate's experience is with
the patterns of behaviour of various contributors. My hope is that
perhaps after the election, if any patterns seem to be OpenStack wide
they can be discussed, from the point of view of motivation.

I hope that sheds more light on the nature of the question without
projecting too much of my own experience here.

Do ask again if I missed the mark.

Thanks Doug,
Anita.