[openstack-dev] [Group-based Policy] Database migration chain

Henry Gessau gessau at cisco.com
Sat Oct 4 15:54:57 UTC 2014

Clint Byrum <clint at fewbar.com> wrote:

> Excerpts from Mike Bayer's message of 2014-10-04 08:10:38 -0700:
>>
>> On Oct 4, 2014, at 1:10 AM, Kevin Benton <blak111 at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Does sqlalchemy have good support for cross-database foreign keys? I was under the impression that they cannot be implemented with the normal syntax and semantics of an intra-database foreign-key constraint.
>>
>> cross “database” is not typically portable, but cross “schema” is.
>>
>> different database vendors have different notions of “databases” or “schemas”.
>>
>> if you can get the “other database” to be accessible from the target database via “otherdatabase.sometable”, then you’re in.
>>
>> from SQLAlchemy’s perspective, it’s just a name with a dot.   It’s the database itself that has to support the foreign key at the scope you are shooting for.
>>

> All true, however, there are zero guarantees that databases will be
> hosted on the same server, and typically permissions are setup to prevent
> cross-schema joins.

I believe Group-based Policy (which this thread is about) will use the Neutron
database configuration for its dependent database.

If Neutron is configured for:
  connection = mysql://user:pass@locationX:3306/neutron
then GBP would use:
  connection = mysql://user:pass@locationX:3306/neutron_gbp

> Typically we use the public API's when we want to access data in a
> different application. The database is a private implementation detail
> of each application.

Currently GPB is very tightly coupled to Neutron.