[openstack-dev] [Group-based Policy] Database migration chain

Clint Byrum clint at fewbar.com
Sat Oct 4 15:24:54 UTC 2014

Excerpts from Mike Bayer's message of 2014-10-04 08:10:38 -0700:

> On Oct 4, 2014, at 1:10 AM, Kevin Benton <blak111 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Does sqlalchemy have good support for cross-database foreign keys? I was under the impression that they cannot be implemented with the normal syntax and semantics of an intra-database foreign-key constraint.
>
> cross “database” is not typically portable, but cross “schema” is.
>
> different database vendors have different notions of “databases” or “schemas”.
>
> if you can get the “other database” to be accessible from the target database via “otherdatabase.sometable”, then you’re in.
>
> from SQLAlchemy’s perspective, it’s just a name with a dot.   It’s the database itself that has to support the foreign key at the scope you are shooting for.

All true, however, there are zero guarantees that databases will be
hosted on the same server, and typically permissions are setup to prevent
cross-schema joins.

Typically we use the public API's when we want to access data in a
different application. The database is a private implementation detail
of each application.