[openstack-dev] [oslo] hold off on making releases

Sean Dague sean at dague.net
Fri Oct 3 22:13:58 UTC 2014

On 10/02/2014 06:08 PM, Doug Hellmann wrote:
> Sean Dague is working on adjusting the gate tests related to Oslo libraries and the integrated projects. I don’t think we have any releases planned, but just in case:
>
> Please wait to tag any new releases of any Oslo libraries until this work is complete to ensure that the new jobs are functioning properly and that we are actually running the tests that Jenkins reports as passing.
>
> Either Sean or I will follow up to this email when the coast is clear again.
>
> Thanks!
> Doug

So... it's not quite all clear yet, but as soon as we get project config
approval on https://review.openstack.org/#/c/126082/ I think we're ready
to go.

For people that weren't keeping up on the released libraries thread,
here's what we've done.

OpenStack Components are now tested with released versions of oslo
libraries by default. So all the gate jobs aren't using the git released
versions, they are using released versions. If you add new features that
a project wants to use, you'll need to cut a release.

To ensure backwards compatibility, you'll notice a bunch of new jobs
called -tempest-dsvm-(.*)src-LIBRARYNAME

This build a devstack environment where oslo libraries are all at the
released version *except* for LIBRARYNAME. So that will give you a
commit test there.

I've added a nova network, and a neutron version of those jobs for all
libs. And a largeops version for oslo.db, oslo.messaging, and
oslo.rootwrap (which used to gate on largeops jobs).

The impact after https://review.openstack.org/#/c/125720/ lands (which
removes the old jobs which don't do what you think any more) is that
oslo libraries will no longer cogate with the integrated release. They
will instead each end up with their own gate where they are testing
their proposed commits vs. the rest of the environment.

That decoupling should be good for everyone. It will massively shorten
oslo lib gate pipelines. It will take a bunch of stuff out of the
integrated gate. It will ensure that integrated projects don't depend on
unreleased library features (big win for ops). And it will provide every
developer with a cookie and a unicorn.*

Updated docs on oslo lib creation will come early next week.

	-Sean

* no actual unicorns, we can probably do cookies at summit.

--
Sean Dague
http://dague.net