[openstack-dev] [Nova] structure of supported_instances field (architecture, hypervisor type, vm mode) ?

Murray, Paul (HP Cloud) pmurray at hp.com
Fri Oct 3 15:16:02 UTC 2014

Hi All,

I have a question about information used to determine if a host supports an image.

The virt drivers all provide a list of triples of the form (architecture, hypervisor type, vm mode). Each triple is compared to the corresponding three image properties in a request in the scheduler filter called image_props_filter.py to determine if a host can support the given image. This information is held in a field in the compute_nodes table called supported_instances.

I am adding the supported_instances field to the ComputeNode object. As it has a definite structure I want to make sure the structure is checked.

So here is my question:

Am I right in thinking that there are always three properties in each element in the list (architecture, hypervisor type, vm mode)?

As far as I can tell, these are the only values checked in the filter and all the virt drivers always generate those three. If so, is it reasonable for me to insist the elements of the supported_instance list have three strings in them when the object checks the data type? I don't want to restrict the structure to being strictly a list of triples if there might in fact be a variable number of properties provided.

Paul