[openstack-dev] [nova] why do we have os-attach-interfaces in the v3 API?

Matt Riedemann mriedem at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Fri Oct 3 13:54:51 UTC 2014

On 10/2/2014 10:30 PM, Christopher Yeoh wrote:
> On Thu, 02 Oct 2014 15:57:55 -0500
> Matt Riedemann <mriedem at linux.vnet.ibm.com> wrote:
>
>> The os-interface (v2) and os-attach-interfaces (v3) APIs are only
>> used for the neutron network API, you'll get a NotImplemented if
>> trying to call the related methods with nova-network [1].
>>
>> Since we aren't proxying to neutron in the v3 API (v2.1), why does
>> os-attach-interfaces [2] exist?  Was this just an oversight?  If so,
>> please allow me to delete it. :)
>
> The proxying work was not done in Juno due to time constraints, but I
> think we should be able to cover it early in Kilo (most of the patches
> are pretty much ready). To have a V2.1 which is functionality
> equivalent to V2 (allowing us to remove the V2 code) we have to
> implement proxying.
>
> Chris
>

>> [1]
>> http://git.openstack.org/cgit/openstack/nova/tree/nova/network/api.py?id=2014.2.rc1#n310
>> [2]
>> http://git.openstack.org/cgit/openstack/nova/tree/nova/api/openstack/compute/plugins/v3/attach_interfaces.py?id=2014.2.rc1

OK I didn't realize proxying to neutron was back on the table for v2.1
but that makes sense.  So the floating IP extensions will be back too I
assume?  And that probably means that this [1] proxy patch for quota
usages and limits is back on the table for v2.1?  If so, I can probably
restore that and start cleaning it up.  Back when work stopped on it in
Icehouse I think the thing that was left to do was add it to the base
Network API so we didn't have the is_neutron checks in the compute API
code (so this will work like the show_ports and list_ports network APIs
- implemented by the neutronv2 API and not implemented by the
nova-network API).

[1] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/43822/

Matt Riedemann