[openstack-dev] [all][tc] governance changes for "big tent" model

Anne Gentle anne at openstack.org
Fri Oct 3 13:25:38 UTC 2014

On Fri, Oct 3, 2014 at 8:07 AM, Doug Hellmann <doug at doughellmann.com> wrote:

> On Oct 3, 2014, at 12:46 AM, Joe Gordon <joe.gordon0 at gmail.com> wrote:
>

> On Thu, Oct 2, 2014 at 4:16 PM, Devananda van der Veen <
> devananda.vdv at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Thu, Oct 2, 2014 at 2:16 PM, Doug Hellmann <doug at doughellmann.com>
>> wrote:
>> > As promised at this week’s TC meeting, I have applied the various blog
>> posts and mailing list threads related to changing our governance model to
>> a series of patches against the openstack/governance repository [1].
>> >
>> > I have tried to include all of the inputs, as well as my own opinions,
>> and look at how each proposal needs to be reflected in our current policies
>> so we do not drop commitments we want to retain along with the processes we
>> are shedding [2].
>> >
>> > I am sure we need more discussion, so I have staged the changes as a
>> series rather than one big patch. Please consider the patches together when
>> commenting. There are many related changes, and some incremental steps
>> won’t make sense without the changes that come after (hey, just like code!).
>> >
>> > Doug
>> >
>> > [1]
>> https://review.openstack.org/#/q/status:open+project:openstack/governance+branch:master+topic:big-tent,n,z
>> > [2] https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/big-tent-notes
>>
>> I've summed up a lot of my current thinking on this etherpad as well
>> (I should really blog, but hey ...)
>>
>> https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/in-pursuit-of-a-new-taxonomy
>>

> After seeing Jay's idea of making a yaml file modeling things and talking
> to devananda about this I went ahead and tried to graph the relationships
> out.
>
> repo: https://github.com/jogo/graphing-openstack
> preliminary YAML file:
> https://github.com/jogo/graphing-openstack/blob/master/openstack.yaml
> sample graph: http://i.imgur.com/LwlkE73.png
>
> It turns out its really hard to figure out what the relationships are
> without digging deep into the code for each project, so I am sure I got a
> few things wrong (along with missing a lot of projects).
>

> The relationships are very important for setting up an optimal gate
> structure. I’m less convinced they are important for setting up the
> governance structure, and I do not think we want a specific gate
> configuration embedded in the governance structure at all. That’s why I’ve
> tried to describe general relationships (“optional inter-project
> dependences” vs. “strict co-dependent project groups” [1]) up until the
> very last patch in the series [2], which redefines the integrated release
> in terms of those other relationships and a base set of projects.

I'm reading and reading and reading and my thoughts keep returning to,
"we're optimizing only for dev." :)

I need to either get over that or decide what parts need tweaking for docs
and support optimization. I'll get going on reviews -- thanks a bunch for
all this compilation and for the good blog writing. Much appreciated.

Anne