[openstack-dev] [Horizon] [All?] "Status" vs "State"

Chris Friesen chris.friesen at windriver.com
Thu Oct 2 19:14:23 UTC 2014

On 10/01/2014 12:37 PM, Jay Pipes wrote:

> IMO, the term "state" should be the only one used in the OpenStack APIs
> to refer to the condition of some thing at a point in time. The term
> "state" can and should be prefaced with a refining descriptor such
> "task" or "power" to denote the *thing* that the state represents a
> condition for.
>
> One direct change I would make would be that Neutron's "admin_state_up"
> field would be instead "admin_state" with values of UP, DOWN (and maybe
> UNKNOWN?) instead of having the *same* GET /networks/{network_id} call
> return *both* a boolean "admin_state_up" field *and* a "status" field
> with a string value like "ACTIVE". :(

Hi Jay,

I wonder if this would tie into our other discussion about
distinguishing between the "desired state" vs the "actual state".
Conceivably you could have the "admin state" be UP, but a fault has
resulted in an "actual state" other than "ACTIVE".

As a reference point, CCITT X.731 goes into huge detail about state and
status.  They define three orthogonal types of state (operational,
usage, and administrative), and many types of status (availability,
alarm, control, etc.)  I'm not suggesting that OpenStack should use
those exact terms, but it suggests that some people have found it useful
to have state along multiple axes rather than trying to stuff everything
into a single variable.

Chris