[openstack-dev] [Zaqar] Comments on the concerns arose during the TC meeting

Dmitry Tantsur dtantsur at redhat.com
Wed Oct 1 07:05:24 UTC 2014

On 09/30/2014 02:03 PM, Soren Hansen wrote:
>> If Nova was to take Soren's advice and implement its data-access layer
>> on top of Cassandra or Riak, we would just end up re-inventing SQL
>> Joins in Python-land.
>
> I may very well be wrong(!), but this statement makes it sound like you've
> never used e.g. Riak. Or, if you have, not done so in the way it's
> supposed to be used.
>
> If you embrace an alternative way of storing your data, you wouldn't just
> blindly create a container for each table in your RDBMS.
>
> For example: In Nova's SQL-based datastore we have a table for security
> groups and another for security group rules. Rows in the security group
> rules table have a foreign key referencing the security group to which
> they belong. In a datastore like Riak, you could have a security group
> container where each value contains not just the security group
> information, but also all the security group rules. No joins in
> Python-land necessary.
>
>> I've said it before, and I'll say it again. In Nova at least, the SQL
>> schema is complex because the problem domain is complex. That means
>> lots of relations, lots of JOINs, and that means the best way to query
>> for that data is via an RDBMS.
>
> I was really hoping you could be more specific than "best"/"most
> appropriate" so that we could have a focused discussion.
>
> I don't think relying on a central data store is in any conceivable way
> appropriate for a project like OpenStack. Least of all Nova.
>
> I don't see how we can build a highly available, distributed service on
> top of a centralized data store like MySQL.
Coming from Skype background I can assure your that you definitely can,
depending on your needs (and our experiments with e.g. MongoDB ended
very badly: it just died under IO loads, that our PostgreSQL treated
like normal). I mean, that's complex topic and I see a lot of people
switching to NoSQL and a lot of people switching from. NoSQL is not a
silver bullet for scalability. Just my 0.5.

/me disappears again