[openstack-dev] [Fuel] [Nailgun] Unit tests improvement meeting minutes

Thomas Goirand zigo at debian.org
Fri Nov 28 23:36:52 UTC 2014

On 11/29/2014 12:15 AM, Ivan Kliuk wrote:
> Hi, team!
>
> Let me please present ideas collected during the unit tests improvement
> meeting:
> 1) Rename class ``Environment`` to something more descriptive
> 2) Remove hardcoded self.clusters[0], e.t.c from ``Environment``. Let's
> use parameters instead
> 3) run_tests.sh should invoke alternate syncdb() for cases where we
> don't need to test migration procedure, i.e. create_db_schema()
> 4) Consider usage of custom fixture provider. The main functionality
> should combine loading from YAML/JSON source and support fixture inheritance
> 5) The project needs in a document(policy) which describes:
>     - Tests creation technique;
>     - Test categorization (integration/unit) and approaches of testing
> different code base
>     -
> 6) Review the tests and refactor unit tests as described in the test policy
> 7) Mimic Nailgun module structure in unit tests
> 8) Explore Swagger tool <http://swagger.io/>
>
> --
> Sincerely yours,
> Ivan Kliuk

Hi Ivan,

Sorry that I wasn't there during the meeting, otherwise I would have had
some things to say. Let me say it here if you don't mind.

I've been fighting *a lot* this week, to have nailgun to use a socket
for postgres that I created in /tmp/tmp.<something> (as one can't use
something else when building packages). The normal way would be to put
the path of that created postgres instance as hostname in
nailgun/settings.yaml, but this doesn't work, and I always ended up
having the /tmp path being passed to psycopg2 as dbname. So, because the
resulting dbname is completely wrong, I never were able to run unit
tests correctly, unless I completely bypass that, and force my own baked
DSN into psycopg2 (eg, hacking __init__.py of psycopg2 to make sure I
had what I expected).

So my question is: could someone help me to fix nailgun, so that it is
possible to use a postgres instance path as hostname? Otherwise, I'll
have no way to run unit tests at package build time.

Cheers,

Thomas Goirand (zigo)