[openstack-dev] [nova] is there a way to simulate thousands or millions of compute nodes?

Michael Still mikal at stillhq.com
Thu Nov 27 22:57:56 UTC 2014

I would say that supporting millions of compute nodes is not a current
priority for nova... We are actively working on improving support for
thousands of compute nodes, but that is via cells (so each nova deploy
except the top is still in the hundreds of nodes).

I worry about pursuing academic goals such as millions of compute
nodes -- as I think it distracts from solving the problems affecting
our real world users. Do you have a deployment in mind at this scale?

Michael

On Thu, Nov 27, 2014 at 2:29 AM, Gareth <academicgareth at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Is there a way to simulate thousands or millions of compute nodes? Maybe we
> could have many fake nova-compute services on one physical machine. By this
> other nova components would have pressure from thousands of compute services
> and this could help us find more problem from large-scale deployment (fake ;
> -) )
>
> I know there is a fake virt driver in nova, but that is not so real. Maybe
> we need a fake driver could sleep 20s (which is close to real booting time)
> in 'spawn' function.
>
> --
> Gareth
>
> Cloud Computing, OpenStack, Distributed Storage, Fitness, Basketball
> OpenStack contributor, kun_huang at freenode
> My promise: if you find any spelling or grammar mistakes in my email from
> Mar 1 2013, notify me
> and I'll donate $1 or ¥1 to an open organization you specify.

Rackspace Australia