[openstack-dev] [cinder] Anyone Using the Open Solaris ZFS Driver?

Duncan Thomas duncan.thomas at gmail.com
Thu Nov 27 10:30:26 UTC 2014

The question about upgrade was purely to see if it had been thought about -
I agree that the code is sufficiently broken that it is certainly not
necessary, and quite possibly impossible - I just wondered if I was right
in that analysis.

On 26 November 2014 at 06:43, John Griffith <john.griffith8 at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Mon, Nov 24, 2014 at 10:53 AM, Monty Taylor <mordred at inaugust.com>
> wrote:

> or
> >
> > Possibly none of my business- but if the current driver is actually just
> > flat broken, then upgrading from it to the new solaris ZFS driver seems
> > unlikely to be possibly, simply because the from case is broken.
>
> Most certainly is your business as much as anybody elses, and complete
> valid point.
>
> IMO upgrade is a complete non-issue, drivers that are no longer
> maintained and obviously don't work should be marked as such in Kilo
> and probably removed as well.  Removal question etc is up to PTL and
> Core but my two cents is they're useless anyway for the most part.
>

> >> The driver in san/solaris.py focuses entirely on iSCSI.  I don't think
> >> existing systems can be upgraded manually but I've never really tried.
> >> We started with a clean slate for Solaris 11 and Cinder and added local
> >> ZFS support for single-system and demo rigs along with a fibre channel
> >> and iSCSI drivers.
> >>
> >> The driver is publically viewable here:
> >>

> https://java.net/projects/solaris-userland/sources/gate/content/components/openstack/cinder/files/solaris/zfs.py
> >>
> >> Please note that this driver is based on Havana.  We know it's old and
> >> we're working to get it updated to Juno right now.  I can try to work
> >> with my team to get a blueprint filed and start working on getting it
> >> integrated into trunk.
> >>
> >> -Drew

Duncan Thomas