[openstack-dev] [neutron][lbaas] Shared Objects in LBaaS - Use Cases that led us to adopt this.

Samuel Bercovici SamuelB at Radware.com
Thu Nov 27 08:52:39 UTC 2014

Brandon, can you please explain further (1) bellow?

-----Original Message-----
From: Brandon Logan [mailto:brandon.logan at RACKSPACE.COM]
Sent: Tuesday, November 25, 2014 12:23 AM
To: openstack-dev at lists.openstack.org
Subject: Re: [openstack-dev] [neutron][lbaas] Shared Objects in LBaaS - Use Cases that led us to adopt this.

My impression is that the statuses of each entity will be shown on a detailed info request of a loadbalancer.  The root level objects would not have any statuses.  For example a user makes a GET request to /loadbalancers/{lb_id} and the status of every child of that load balancer is show in a "status_tree" json object.  For example:

{"name": "loadbalancer1",
 "status_tree":
  {"listeners":
    [{"name": "listener1", "operating_status": "ACTIVE",
      "default_pool":
        {"name": "pool1", "status": "ACTIVE",
         "members":
           [{"ip_address": "10.0.0.1", "status": "OFFLINE"}]}}

Sam, correct me if I am wrong.

I generally like this idea.  I do have a few reservations with this:

1) Creating and updating a load balancer requires a full tree configuration with the current extension/plugin logic in neutron.  Since updates will require a full tree, it means the user would have to know the full tree configuration just to simply update a name.  Solving this would require nested child resources in the URL, which the current neutron extension/plugin does not allow.  Maybe the new one will.

2) The status_tree can get quite large depending on the number of listeners and pools being used.  This is a minor issue really as it will make horizon's (or any other UI tool's) job easier to show statuses.

Thanks,
Brandon