[openstack-dev] [all] removing XML testing completely from Tempest

Sean Dague sean at dague.net
Wed Nov 26 13:22:55 UTC 2014

On 11/25/2014 03:28 AM, Flavio Percoco wrote:
> On 24/11/14 08:56 -0500, Sean Dague wrote:
>> Having XML payloads was never a universal part of OpenStack services.
>> During the Icehouse release the TC declared that being an OpenStack
>> service requires having a JSON REST API. Projects could do what they
>> wanted beyond that. Lots of them deprecated and have been removing the
>> XML cruft since then.
>>
>> Tempest is a tool to test the OpenStack API. OpenStack hasn't had an XML
>> API for a long time.
>>
>> Given that current branchless Tempest only supports as far back as
>> Icehouse anyway, after these changes were made, I'd like to propose that
>> all the XML code in Tempest should be removed. If a project wants to
>> support something else beyond a JSON API that's on that project to test
>> and document on their own.
>>
>> We've definitively blocked adding new XML tests in Tempest anyway, but
>> getting rid of the XML debt in the project will simplify it quite a bit,
>> make it easier for contributors to join in, and seems consistent with
>> the direction of OpenStack as a whole.
>
> Lets get rid of it, once and for all.

This was discussed last night in the cross project meeting, and there
was a pretty resounding *do it* -
http://eavesdrop.openstack.org/meetings/project/2014/project.2014-11-25-21.01.log.html

The patch stream to accomplish it is here -
https://review.openstack.org/#/q/status:open+project:openstack/tempest+branch:master+topic:rmxml,n,z

+1s for non core members that are in favor, especially potentially
affected PTLs, appreciated.

	-Sean

--
Sean Dague