[openstack-dev] [Horizon] the future of angularjs development in Horizon

Thomas Goirand zigo at debian.org
Tue Nov 25 16:34:21 UTC 2014

On 11/21/2014 08:31 PM, Donald Stufft wrote:

>> On Nov 21, 2014, at 3:59 AM, Thomas Goirand <zigo at debian.org> wrote:
>>

>>> I'm not sure I understand the meaning behind this question. "bower
>>> install angular" downloads a bower package called "angular".
>>
>> Isn't there is a simple URL that I may use with wget? I don't really
>> want to use bower directly, I just would like to have a look to the
>> content of the bower package.
>
> You can’t. Bower doesn’t have “traditional” packages where you take a
> directory and archive it using tar/zip/whatever and then upload it to
> some repo. Bower has a registry which maps names to git URLs and then
> the bower CLI looks up that mapping, fetches the git repository and then
> uses that as the input to the “look at metadata and do stuff with files”
> part of the package manager instead of the output of an un-unarchival
> command.

Then this makes Bower a very bad candidate to "debianize" stuff. We'll
have a moving target with a constantly changing git from upstream,
meaning that we'll have all sorts of surprise in the gate.

Frankly, this Bower thing scares me, and I don't really understand why
we're not continuing to use XStatic stuff, which was really convenient
and has been proven to work during the Juno cycle.

Thomas