[openstack-dev] [cinder] [qa] which core team members are diving into - http://status.openstack.org/elastic-recheck/#1373513

Matt Riedemann mriedem at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Tue Nov 25 15:03:32 UTC 2014

On 11/25/2014 8:11 AM, Sean Dague wrote:
> There is currently a review stream coming into Tempest to add Cinder v2
> tests in addition to the Cinder v1 tests. At the same time the currently
> biggest race fail in the gate related to the projects is
> http://status.openstack.org/elastic-recheck/#1373513 - which is cinder
> related.
>
> I believe these 2 facts are coupled. The number of volume tests we have
> in tempest is somewhat small, and as such the likelihood of them running
> simultaneously is also small. However the fact that as the # of tests
> with volumes goes up we are getting more of these race fails typically
> means that what's actually happening is 2 vol ops that aren't safe to
> run at the same time, are.
>
> This remains critical - https://bugs.launchpad.net/cinder/+bug/1373513 -
> with no assignee.
>
> So we really needs dedicated diving on this (last bug update with any
> code was a month ago), otherwise we need to stop adding these tests to
> Tempest, and honestly start skipping the volume tests if we can't have a
> repeatable success.
>
> 	-Sean

I just put up an e-r query for a newly opened bug
https://bugs.launchpad.net/cinder/+bug/1396186 this morning, it looks
similar to bug 1373513 but without the blocked task error in syslog.

There is a three minute gap between when the volume is being deleted in
c-vol logs and when we see the volume uuid logged again, at which point
tempest has already timed out waiting for the delete to complete.

We should at least get some patches to add diagnostic logging in these
delete flows (or periodic tasks that use the same locks/low-level i/o
bound commands?) to try and pinpoint these failures.

I think I'm going to propose a skip patch for test_volume_boot_pattern
since that just seems to be a never ending cause of pain until these
root issues get fixed.

Matt Riedemann