[openstack-dev] [all] Versioned objects cross project sessions next steps

Doug Hellmann doug at doughellmann.com
Tue Nov 25 12:54:20 UTC 2014

On Nov 24, 2014, at 4:06 PM, Jay Pipes <jaypipes at gmail.com> wrote:

>>> After some discussion with some of the interested parties, we're
>>> planning to add a third .z element to the version numbers and use that
>>> to handle backports in the same way that we do for RPC:
>>>
>>> https://review.openstack.org/#/c/134623/

>>> I'm not planning to look into this, especially since we discussed it a
>>> couple years ago when deciding to do what we're currently doing. If
>>> someone else does, creates a thing that is demonstrably more useful than
>>> what we have, and provides a migration plan, then cool. Otherwise, I'm
>>> not really planning to stop what I'm doing at the moment.

>>> To be honest, since the summit, I've not done anything with the current
>>> oslo spec, given the potential for doing something different that was
>>> raised. I know that cinder folks (at least) are planning to start
>>> copying code into their tree to get moving.
>>>
>>> I think we need a decision to either (a) dump what we've got into the
>>> proposed library (or incubator) and plan to move forward incrementally
>>> or (b) each continue doing our own thing(s) in our own trees while we
>>> wait for someone to create something based on GPB that does what we want.
>>
>> I'd prefer (a); although I hope there is a owner/lead for this library
>> (dan?) and it's not just dumped on the oslo folks as that won't work out
>> so well I think. It'd be nice if said owner could also look into (b) but
>> that's at there own (or other library supporter) time I suppose (I
>> personally think (b) would probably allow for a larger community of
>> folks to get involved in this library, would potentially reduce the
>> amount of custom/overlapping code and other similar benefits...).
>
> I gave some comments at the very end of the summit session on this, and I want to be clear about something. I definitely like GPB, and there's definite overlap with some things that GPB does and things that nova.objects does.
>
> That said, I don't think it's wise to make oslo-versionedobjects be a totally new thing. I think we should use nova.objects as the base of a new oslo-versionedobjects library, and we should evolve oslo-versionedobjects slowly over time, eventually allowing for nova, ironic, and whomever else is currently using nova/objects, to align with an Oslo library vision for this.
>
> So, in short, I also think a) is the appropriate path to take.

+1

When Dan and I talked about this, I said I would take care of exporting the nova objects git history into a new repository. We’ve had some other things blocking work in Oslo that I needed to handle, but I expect to be able to pick up this work soon. If someone else wants to jump in, I’ll be happy to give a brain dump of what I planned to do for the export, since the existing Oslo tool that we use on the incubator isn’t quite right for the job.

Doug