[openstack-dev] [devstack] external plugin support for Devstack

Sean Dague sean at dague.net
Tue Nov 25 12:09:26 UTC 2014

On 11/24/2014 10:31 AM, Sean Dague wrote:
> On 11/24/2014 10:17 AM, Chmouel Boudjnah wrote:
>>
>> On Mon, Nov 24, 2014 at 3:32 PM, Sean Dague <sean at dague.net
>> <mailto:sean at dague.net>> wrote:
>>
>>     We should also make this something which is gate friendly. I think the
>>     idea had been that if projects included a /devstack/ directory in them,
>>     when assembling devstack gate, that would be automatically dropped into
>>     devstack's extra.d directory before running.
>>

>> +1 you are taking this way forward and it would look even better, even
>> for official projects managing their own devstack installation would be
>> great! (kinda like we are heading with functional tests)
>>
>>     Which would let projects keep their devstack support local, make it easy
>>     to gate their project on it, give those projects the ability to make
>>     local fixes if something in devstack broke them.
>>
>>     I think that in general providing this kind of functionality is
>>     goodness. We should probably get the details hammered out though to
>>     support local running and automated testing coherently.
>>

>> We don't seem to have any specs repo for  devstack where this could be
>> worked on ?
>
> devstack is part of the qa program so qa-specs is the place to put it.

One other thought from my bike ride yesterday.

I think the devstack interface we want for this is something like:

ADDITIONAL_REPOS="https://github.com/bob/myproject:mybranch,https://github.com/jane/mycoolerproject:mybranch"

The ADDITIONAL_REPOS would be iterated through, cloned to DEST in
devstack at the branches specified.

Then we need a standard for the files in /devstack/, which is at least 1
extras.d file for running the project install, though we might also need
a vars file to be sourced.

	-Sean

--
Sean Dague