[openstack-dev] [oslo] Add a new aiogreen executor for Oslo Messaging

Mike Bayer mbayer at redhat.com
Mon Nov 24 15:43:24 UTC 2014

> On Nov 24, 2014, at 9:23 AM, Adam Young <ayoung at redhat.com> wrote:
>

> For pieces such as the Nova compute that talk almost exclusively on the Queue, we should work to remove Monkey patching and use a clear programming model.  If we can do that within the context of Eventlet, great.  If we need to replace Eventlet with a different model, it will be painful, but should be done.  What is most important is that we avoid doing hacks like we've had to do with calls to Memcached and monkeypatching threading.

Nova compute does a lot of relational database access and I’ve yet to see an explicit-async-compatible DBAPI other than psycopg2’s and Twisted abdbapi.   Twisted adbapi appears just to throw regular DBAPIs into a thread pool in any case (see http://twistedmatrix.com/trac/browser/trunk/twisted/enterprise/adbapi.py), so given that awkwardness and lack of real async, if eventlet is dropped it would be best to use a thread pool for database-related methods directly.