[openstack-dev] [cinder] Anyone Using the Open Solaris ZFS Driver?

Drew Fisher drew.fisher at oracle.com
Mon Nov 24 15:14:55 UTC 2014

On 11/17/14 10:27 PM, Duncan Thomas wrote:
> Is the new driver drop-in compatible with the old one? IF not, can
> existing systems be upgraded to the new driver via some manual steps, or
> is it basically a completely new driver with similar functionality?

The driver in san/solaris.py focuses entirely on iSCSI.  I don't think
existing systems can be upgraded manually but I've never really tried.
We started with a clean slate for Solaris 11 and Cinder and added local
ZFS support for single-system and demo rigs along with a fibre channel
and iSCSI drivers.

The driver is publically viewable here:

https://java.net/projects/solaris-userland/sources/gate/content/components/openstack/cinder/files/solaris/zfs.py

Please note that this driver is based on Havana.  We know it's old and
we're working to get it updated to Juno right now.  I can try to work
with my team to get a blueprint filed and start working on getting it
integrated into trunk.

-Drew