[openstack-dev] Where should Schema files live?

Sandy Walsh sandy.walsh at RACKSPACE.COM
Mon Nov 24 12:31:48 UTC 2014

>From: Eoghan Glynn [eglynn at redhat.com] Friday, November 21, 2014 11:03 AM
>>
>> >Would it be unfair to push that burden onto the writers of clients
>> >in other languages?
>> >
>> >i.e. OpenStack, being largely python-centric, would take responsibility
>> >for both:
>> >
>> >  1. Maintaining the text versions of the schema in-tree (e.g. as json)
>> >
>> >and:
>> >
>> >  2. Producing a python-specific installer based on #1
>> >
>> >whereas, the first Java-based consumer of these schema would take
>> >#1 and package it up in their native format, i.e. as a jar or
>> >OSGi bundle.

I think Doug's suggestion of keeping the schema files in-tree and pushing them to a well-known tarball maker in a build step is best so far.

It's still a little clunky, but not as clunky as having to sync two repos.

>[snip]
>>
>> >Quick clarification ... when you say "distro packages", do you mean
>> >Linux-distro-specific package formats such as .rpm or .deb?
>>
>> Yep.

>So that would indeed work, but just to sound a small note of caution
>that keeping an oft-changing package (assumption #5) up-to-date for
>fedora20/21 & epel6/7, or precise/trusty, would involve some work.

>I don't know much about the Debian/Ubuntu packaging pipeline, in
>particular how it could be automated.

>But in my small experience of Fedora/EL packaging, the process is
>somewhat resistant to many fine-grained updates.

Ah, good to know. So, if we go with the tarball approach, we should be able to avoid this. And it allows the service to easily service up the schema using their existing REST API.

Should we proceed under the assumption we'll push to a tarball in a post-build step? It could change if we find it's too messy.

-S